A gantry crane is an economical type of overhead crane. Instead of being built into a support structure like a bridge crane, gantry cranes are supported by a pair of legs. Many use a track installed on the floor or swivel casters.
You’ll also hear this type of crane called a portable gantry crane or mobile gantry crane, because you can move it where you need it, even when it’s under load.
It’s also available in manual or mechanical configurations, as well as two different types to meet your needs. With an adjustable gantry crane, you’ll be able to change the height and span, which can come in handy when you’re moving it through a doorway or mezzanine. With a fixed gantry crane, the height and span stay the same.
Our engineers recommend using a gantry crane when:
- You want to be able to move the crane around your facility.
- You need a solution for a small footprint.
- You are lifting items that weigh between 1 ton and 5 tons.
- You don’t need to move loads at high speed.
- You’re leasing the building and can’t use a building-supported crane or anchor one to the floor.
Not sure what’s right for your facility? Our experienced engineering team will help you find the right solution for your facility. Contact us to get started.